CHARLIE IS A PROFESSIONAL PORTRAIT ARTIST, AVAILABLE FOR COMMISSIONS. GET IN TOUCH TO FIND OUT MORE.
0777 6435 094
web design and branding by
“I have always loved drawing and painting. The dryness of the paper and the chalk demand precision and exactness. Painting using oils also allows for endless opportunities for self-development. They quickly expose one’s weaknesses and mistakes, leaving no room for half measures. In my work I try to emphasize the singularity of the form. And by a careful balancing of tones, I emphasise the way in which light and shade fall across the subject. I try to transform the existence of the object from the ordinary to something more profound.” Charlie Parker
Born in 1968, Charlie Parker spent his early life in Leeds, Yorkshire. It was during these early formative years that a love of painting and drawing was gained. He is entirely self taught and has painted and drawn seriously since the early 1990's. Charlie also attends regular life-drawing classes, and studies the great masters at museums, when possible. During his time spent drawing and painting, Charlie has attempted a variety of subjects, but over the recent years he has developed a real passion for drawing and painting the human form. This may be related to other careers which he has pursued. These include working as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and as a Staff Nurse (Psychiatry). He has also spent time teaching History in a number of schools within the north-east of England. All such careers demonstrate an interest in people and it is this interest that has informed his decision to focus his time portraying people through his artwork. Exhibitions showing my work have been held in Leeds, London, Ilkley, Newcastle and many of his works are held in private collections in the United States, Australia and parts of Europe.
- 1996, 1997, 1998,1999 Joint exhibition at the Kings Hall, Ilkley. Winner of 'The Portrait Award', 1997 & 1998.
- 2003 Won the ‘Peoples Choice’ prize when exhibiting at the Northumbria University Gallery.
- 2003 Joint exhibitions at the ‘Gates’ Durham City.
- 2003-4 Solo exhibition at ‘The Gates’ Durham City.
- 2005 Regional final of the ‘A Brush with Fame’ television series.
- 2006 Solo exhibition at the Greenfield Arts Centre, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.
- 2013 Solo exhibition at Stanhope Castle, Weardale.
- 2016 Joint exhibition at The Mansion House, Newcastle. Awarded the Christenson Trophy.
- 2017 Portrait exhibition at the Newcastle Arts Centre.
- Participation in Sky Arts 'Portrait Artist of the Year 2017'.
- Participation in Sky Arts 'Portrait Artist of the Year 2018'.